How to Read Excel File using Pandas in Python
by Abdul Rawoof A R Updated: Jan 31, 2023
Pandas is a powerful library in Python that provides easy-to-use data structures and data analysis tools. One of the things it can do is read data from various file formats, including Excel files.
Reading Excel files using Pandas can be useful in various data analysis and data processing tasks. Here are a few examples of how it can be used:
- Data Cleaning and Pre-processing: To clean and prepare the data in an Excel file, Pandas offers a variety of data cleaning and pre-processing capabilities.
- Data Exploration: After loading the data into a DataFrame, you may use Pandas' different data exploration methods to learn more about the data.
- Data Visualization: Using Pandas, you can make a variety of plots and visuals that will make the data easier to interpret.
- Data Export: Pandas can export data in various file formats, including CSV, Excel, JSON, etc.
- Data Manipulation: To handle complicated data manipulation jobs, Pandas provides various data manipulation functions, including sorting, filtering, grouping, joining, and merging.
Here is how you can read an Excel file using Pandas:
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
In this solution we're using Pandas and Xlrd libraries.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Install pandas on your IDE(Any of your favorite IDE).
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your IDE.
- Add required dependencies and import them in Python file.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful. I have added the link to dependent libraries, version information in the following sections.
I found this code snippet by searching for 'read excel using pandas' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
- Pandas version-v1.5.2.
- Xlrd version-current.
Using this solution, we are able to read excel file using pandas with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to read excel file using pandas.
Flexible and powerful data analysis / manipulation library for Python, providing labeled data structures similar to R data.frame objects, statistical functions, and much more
Python 38499 Version:v2.0.2 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- For any support on kandi solution kits, please use the chat
- For further learning resources, visit the Open Weaver Community learning page.