How to Remove Special Characters in Pandas Dataframe
by Abdul Rawoof A R Updated: Jan 31, 2023
Removing special characters and strings from a column in a Pandas DataFrame can be used to clean and pre-process the data before further analysis or modeling. This can be useful for removing unwanted or irrelevant information, such as non-alphanumeric characters or specific words, and ensuring consistency in the data.
There are several ways to remove special characters and strings from a column in a Pandas DataFrame. Here are a few examples:
- Using the replace() method: This will remove all non-alphanumeric characters from the column.
- Using the str.translate() method: This will remove all punctuation characters from the column.
- Using the str.replace() method: This will remove a specific string from the column.
The above methods with chaining will remove multiple special characters or strings in the same column. Also, you can use re.sub() method to remove specific characters/string patterns. This will remove all special characters from the column.
You may have a look at the code given below for removing special characters and strings from df column in Pandas.
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
In this solution we're using Pandas library.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Install pandas on your IDE(Any of your favorite IDE).
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your IDE.
- Add required dependencies and import them in Python file.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful. I have added the link to dependent libraries, version information in the following sections.
I found this code snippet by searching for 'remove how to remove special characters and string from df columns using pandas' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
- Pandas version-v1.5.2.
Using this solution, we are able to remove special character and string from df columns in pandas with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to remove special character and string from df columns in pandas.
Flexible and powerful data analysis / manipulation library for Python, providing labeled data structures similar to R data.frame objects, statistical functions, and much more
Python 37415 Version:v2.0.0rc1 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- For any support on kandi solution kits, please use the chat
- For further learning resources, visit the Open Weaver Community learning page.