How to Perform Real-Time Speech Recognition in Python
by Abdul Rawoof A R Updated: Feb 2, 2023
Real-time speech recognition in Python refers to the ability of a computer program to transcribe spoken words into written text in real time. You can use a library like SpeechRecognition to recognize speech in real-time in Python. It supports several various engines and APIs, such as Microsoft Bing Voice Recognition and Google Speech Recognition.
Real-time voice recognition in Python has a wide range of uses, including:
- Voice-controlled assistants: These virtual assistants, like Siri or Alexa, can be operated via voice commands.
- Speech-to-text transcription: This tool turns audible words into written text and is useful in professions including journalism, law, and medicine.
- Voice biometrics: This application uses a person's distinctive voice patterns to authenticate and identify them.
- Real-time language translation: This program helps people who speak various languages communicate more easily by translating spoken words from one language to another.
- Speech-based accessibility: Applications that assist people with disabilities, such as text-to-speech or speech-to-text for the visually impaired.
Here is how you can recognize speech in real time in Python: