Data security methods like encryption make data unintelligible to anyone without a secret key or password. Many libraries and tools that offer cryptographic operations are available in the Ruby environment and can be used to conduct encryption. Many capabilities are available for working with encryption in the Ruby encryption libraries. Support for different encryption methods, key generation, encryption and decryption, hash functions, message authentication codes (MACs), certificate management, and other features are some of the common characteristics offered by these libraries.
Ruby encryption can be applied in several situations when it's necessary to store or securely communicate sensitive information. Typical illustrations include:
- Web applications: A web server and client, such as a browser, can communicate securely using encryption. SSL/TLS, which encrypts the data exchanged between the server and the client, can be used for this.
- Mobile applications: Data saved on a mobile device or exchanged between a mobile device and a server can be secured via encryption.
- Cloud storage: To prevent unauthorized access, data stored in the cloud can be encrypted.
- File storage: Data stored in files on a local computer or networked device can be secured via encryption.
- Network communication: Using encryption to secure communications over a network, data sent between computers is shielded from eavesdropping.
Check out the below list to find the best Ruby encryption libraries for your application development:
Generates attr_accessors that encrypt and decrypt attributes
Ruby 1950 Version:v4.0.0 License: Permissive (MIT)
Encrypted peer-to-peer web application platform for decentralized, privacy-preserving applications
Ruby 1160 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
Ruby FFI binding to the Networking and Cryptography (NaCl) library (a.k.a. libsodium)
Ruby 921 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
Symmetric Encryption for Ruby Projects using OpenSSL
Ruby 471 Version:Current License: Permissive (Apache-2.0)
Secures ActiveRecord attributes with public key encryption
Ruby 393 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
Transparent ActiveRecord encryption
Ruby 280 Version:v2.3.0 License: Permissive (MIT)
JSON Web Token and its family (JSON Web Signature, JSON Web Encryption and JSON Web Key) in Ruby
Ruby 284 Version:v1.16.3 License: Permissive (MIT)
sekrets is a command line tool and library used to securely manage encrypted files and settings in your rails' applications and git repositories.
Ruby 258 Version:Current License: Permissive (BSD-2-Clause)
:lock: A simple open source web application that lets users encrypt and share messages that can only be read once.
Ruby 163 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
A simple and opinionated AES encrypt / decrypt Ruby gem that just works.
Ruby 156 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)