How To Add Elements to a List in Python
by Abdul Rawoof A R Updated: Feb 1, 2023
In Python, you can add the values of a list together using a loop, such as a for loop, and a variable to keep track of the sum. You can also use the built-in “sum()” function to add the values of a list together.
- sum(): The sum() function takes an iterable as an argument, such as a list, and returns the sum of its elements.
You can also use “list comprehension” to add the values of a list together.
- List comprehension: Applying an operation to each member of an existing list or other iterable and gathering the results in a new list is a condensed method of producing a new list in Python.
You can otherwise use the “reduce()” function from the “functools” module to add the values of a list together.
- reduce(): This function applies a function cumulatively to the iterable's elements by taking an iterable and a function as arguments.
- functools module: The functools module is a built-in Python module that provides several tools for working with functions and functional programming.
Please check the code below to learn how to add list values in Python.
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Install python on your IDE(Any of your favorite IDE).
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your IDE.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful.
I found this code snippet by searching for 'How to add list values in python' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
Using this solution, we are able to add list values in python with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to add list values in python.
- For any support on kandi solution kits, please use the chat
- For further learning resources, visit the Open Weaver Community learning page.