How to Append a Dictionary to a List in Python
by Abdul Rawoof A R Updated: Feb 1, 2023
By first getting the list using the key and then adding an element to the list using the "append()" function, you may append to a list that is a value in a dictionary in Python.
- append(): In Python, an element is added to the end of a list using the append() function. It does not produce a new list but rather alters the existing list. It just requires a single parameter, the element to be added, and updates the list in place.
You can also use the “setdefault()” method to append to a list value in a dictionary if the key does not exist.
- setdefault(): The setdefault() method is a built-in method of dictionaries in Python that is used to insert a key-value pair into a dictionary if the key is not already present.
You can also use “defaultdict” from the collections library.
- defaultdict: defaultdict is a class in the collections module in Python that is used to create a dictionary with a default value for keys that do not exist. It creates a dictionary-like object that returns a default value when a non-existent key is accessed.
Please review the code below to learn how to append values to a list in a dictionary in Python.
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Install python on your IDE(Any of your favorite IDE).
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your IDE.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful.
I found this code snippet by searching for 'Appending to a list in a dictionary in python' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
Using this solution, we are able to appending to a list in a dictionary in python with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to appending to a list in a dictionary in python.
- For any support on kandi solution kits, please use the chat
- For further learning resources, visit the Open Weaver Community learning page.