A function in programming is a structured, reusable unit of code that is used to carry out a particular activity. Functions are a way to divide a large program into smaller, more manageable pieces.
The "def" keyword in Python is followed by the function name, a pair of parentheses that might include parameters, and a colon to construct a function. The block of code to be executed by the function follows, indented underneath the definition line.
- def: In Python, the def keyword defines a function. It is used to create a block of organized, reusable code that a specific name can call, take input in the form of one or more parameters, and return an output, called the return value.
You can also use the return statement inside a function to return a value or an object from the function. A function that does not have a return statement will return None by default. Functions are a key feature of structured programming, making the code more organized, reusable, and easier to understand and maintain.
You may have a look at the code given below for creating a function in Python.
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Install python on your IDE(Any of your favorite IDE).
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your IDE.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful.
I found this code snippet by searching for 'How to create a function in Python' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
Using this solution, we are able to create a function in python with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to create a function in python.