How to Write a Search Function in Python
by vsasikalabe Updated: Feb 1, 2023
The search() function in Python is used when you find a specific pattern in a string and extract information about that pattern. Some examples of when you might use the search() function include:
- Parsing text to extract specific information: You can use the search() function to search for patterns in text, such as phone numbers, email addresses, or dates, and extract the information you need.
- Validation of user input: You can use the search() function to check whether user input matches a specific pattern, such as a password policy or a credit card number format.
- Extracting data from a file: You can use the search() function to search for patterns in a file, such as a log file or a CSV file, and extract the data you need.
- Scraping data from a website: You can use the search() function to search for patterns in the HTML code of a website and extract the data you need, such as prices, names, reviews, etc.
The search() function is a re (regular expression) module method. It searches for a specific pattern in a string and returns a match object if the pattern is found.
Please check the code below to learn more about the Python search function.
Fig : Preview of the output that you will get on running this code from your IDE.
Follow the steps carefully to get the output easily.
- Download and install Pycharm Community edition on your desktop.
- Open new python file in your IDE.
- Copy the snippet using the 'copy' and paste it in your python file.
- Run the file to generate the output.
I hope you found this useful.
I found this code snippet by searching for ' Python Search Function with new number' in kandi. You can try any such use case!
I tested this solution in the following versions. Be mindful of changes when working with other versions.
- The solution is created in PyCharm 2021.3.
- The solution is tested on Python 3.9.7.
Using this solution, we are able to do Python Search Function with simple steps. This process also facilities an easy way to use, hassle-free method to create a hands-on working version of code which would help us to do Python Search Function.
- For any support on kandi solution kits, please use the chat
- For further learning resources, visit the Open Weaver Community learning page.