10 Best Django Media Processing Libraries
by Dhiren Gala Updated: Feb 3, 2023
Here are the best Django media processing libraries for your web application. You can use the Django web framework for various media processing functionalities, from basic image resizing to advanced video processing, without having to write complex code from scratch.
Several libraries provide these features in Django, making it easier for developers to handle image and video processing in their applications. These libraries offer a variety of image-processing functionalities, including the ability to resize, crop, and rotate photos. Certain libraries provide a simple functionality to resize images and save the resulting images to your media storage backend. Also, you can find libraries that allow developers to easily extract video frames, convert video formats, and perform other video processing tasks in the Django applications. Hence, Django libraries are popular for developing applications requiring image and video processing capabilities.
We have handpicked top and trending Django media processing libraries based on popularity, licensing, and unique features to build video and image processing functionalities in your applications:
- Used in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Vision, Deep Learning applications, etc.
- A fork of the Python Imaging Library (PIL)
- Provides a wide range of image processing functionality.
- Used to rotate and resize images to a specified size.
- Saves the resulting images to the media storage backend.
- Compatible with sorl-thumbnail.
Resizes image original to specified size. Compatible with sorl-thumbnail
Python 178 Version:Current License: No License
- Used to download and re-encode video files.
- Provides support for the FFmpeg library.
- Allows performing video processing tasks such as extracting video frames, converting video formats, and more.
Download and encode video files by using ffmpeg utilit
Python 11 Version:Current License: Strong Copyleft (GPL-3.0)
- Used to convert your videos into different formats and resolutions.
- Requires at least Python 3.6.1 or newer version.
- Provides support for FFmpeg and FFprobe.
django-video-encoding helps to convert your videos into different formats and resolutions.
Python 89 Version:1.0.0 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- Used to perform a range of automated image processing tasks in Django.
- Offers a high-level API for image processing and optimization.
- Includes functionalities like image resizing and compression.
Automated image processing for Django. Currently v4.0
Python 2093 Version:4.1.0 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- Used to create thumbnails of various sizes and formats.
- Provides options for cropping and resizing.
- Version 2.8.0 will provide added support for thumbnailing SVG images.
Easy thumbnails for Django
Python 1307 Version:Current License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- Used to create custom image fields for Django models.
- Automatically handles image resizing and optimization.
- Provides a flexible, intuitive, and easily extensible interface.
A drop-in replacement for django's ImageField that provides a flexible, intuitive and easily-extensible interface for quickly creating new images from the one assigned to the field.
Python 451 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
- Used as a media library for Django.
- Provides the ability to categorize and tag media files.
- Offers support for image and video processing.
- Used for resizing, cropping, and other image-processing operations.
- Integrates well with Django and offers flexible options.
- Allows generating alternative resolution versions of a thumbnail.
Thumbnails for Django
Python 1643 Version:12.9.0 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- Used to perform image resizing, crop, and other operations.
- Provides support for the Thumbor image processing service.
- Thumbor is an open-source smart, AI-imaging service.
A django app with templatetags for resizing images with thumbor
Python 87 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)