20 Best PHP User Authentication Libraries in 2023
by sureshbabu Updated: Mar 23, 2023
Here are some of the famous PHP User Authentication Libraries. PHP User Authentication Libraries use cases include Creating a secure user login system, allowing users to reset their passwords securely, storing user information in a secure database, etc.
PHP User Authentication Libraries are libraries of code that allow developers to quickly and easily add user authentication capabilities to a website or application. These libraries provide functions and tools to help developers implement a secure authentication system, such as user registration, password hashing, session management, and access control.
Let us have a look at these Libraries in Detail below.
- Offers a high degree of flexibility.
- Supports multiple authentication methods, such as OAuth2 and Basic Authentication.
- Supports multiple authorization methods, such as role-based authorization.
🔐 JSON Web Token Authentication for Laravel & Lumen
PHP 10799 Version:2.0.0 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Works on multiple platforms such as PHP, Java, .NET, etc.
- Provides advanced security features such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID, etc.
- Provides high performance and is optimized for scalability.
Open source social sign on PHP Library. HybridAuth goal is to act as an abstract api between your application and various social apis and identities providers such as Facebook, Twitter and Google.
PHP 3285 Version:v3.9.0 License: Others (Non-SPDX)
- Provides industry-standard authentication and authorization protocols.
- Designed to be scalable and can handle thousands of users at once.
- Allows you to customize your authentication implementation.
The Facebook SDK for PHP provides a native interface to the Graph API and Facebook Login. https://developers.facebook.com/docs/php
PHP 3042 Version:Current License: Others (Non-SPDX)
- Supports token-based authentication.
- Provides database seeding.
- Supports authorization two-factor authentication.
Laravel 8 with user authentication, registration with email confirmation, social media authentication, password recovery, and captcha protection. Uses offical [Bootstrap 4](http://getbootstrap.com). This also makes full use of Controllers for the routes, templates for the views, and makes use of middleware for routing. The project can be stood up in minutes.
PHP 2814 Version:v8.4.1 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Allows you to define multiple authentication guards.
- Refresh and revoke authentication tokens.
- Helpful features such as token expiration, device limitation, and token revocation.
Laravel Sanctum provides a featherweight authentication system for SPAs and simple APIs.
PHP 2465 Version:v3.2.1 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Built with security in mind.
- Supports several different login methods.
- Easy to set up role-based permissions.
Simple and Lightweight Auth System for CodeIgniter
PHP 2329 Version:Current License: Permissive (MIT)
- Ensures secure authentication and authorization using the OAuth protocol.
- Highly customizable and allows developers to add new OAuth providers easily.
- Open source means developers can contribute to the project and access the source code.
OAuth client integration for Symfony. Supports both OAuth1.0a and OAuth2.
PHP 2203 Version:2.0.0-BETA2 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) protection.
- Password management with hashing, salting, and configurable complexity requirements.
- User session management with encrypted session data.
Simple user-authentication solution, embedded into a small framework.
PHP 2133 Version:v3.3.1 License: No License
- Supports a wide range of providers, including popular social media sites like Facebook.
- Built on a modular approach, which makes it flexible and extensible.
- Provides a secure authentication solution that helps keep users data safe.
Multi-provider authentication framework for PHP
PHP 1655 Version:1.0.0-alpha.1 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Secure and Reliable.
- Comprehensive Logging.
- Flexible Permissions.
Laravel Impersonate is a plugin that allows you to authenticate as your users.
PHP 1651 Version:1.7.4 License: No License
- Stores user data securely and can be used to store passwords.
- Provides advanced security features such as password hashing.
- Easy to use due to its intuitive and well-documented API.
Security provides an infrastructure for sophisticated authorization systems, which makes it possible to easily separate the actual authorization logic from so called user providers that hold the users credentials. It is inspired by the Java Spring framework.
PHP 1650 Version:v6.2.5 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Uses TOTP, which generates a unique one-time code for each login.
- Provides an easy-to-navigate setup process.
- Allows users to generate backup codes in case they lose access to the device they use for two-factor authentication.
A One Time Password Authentication package, compatible with Google Authenticator.
PHP 1619 Version:8.0.0 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Includes a powerful templating engine.
- Uses a modern web development stack, including Bootstrap etc.
- Allow developers to integrate user authentication and authorization into their applications easily.
:doughnut: Modern PHP user login and management framework++.
PHP 1590 Version:v4.6.6 License: Others (Non-SPDX)
- Easy integration with popular frameworks.
- A robust security framework.
- Role-based authorization.
A framework agnostic authentication & authorization system.
PHP 1427 Version:v5.1.0 License: Permissive (BSD-3-Clause)
- Provides user account management features such as password reset, password expiration, and account lockout.
- Offers secure authentication with two-factor authentication via Google Authenticator or YubiKey.
- Provides an out-of-the-box authentication system with password hashing, authentication rules, and access control lists.
The Guard component brings many layers of authentication together, making it much easier to create complex authentication systems where you have total control.
PHP 1397 Version:v5.4.19 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Designed to be simple and intuitive for developers to use.
- Allows developers to customize the authentication process to their specific needs.
- Comes with extensive documentation to help developers get started quickly.
Backend controllers and scaffolding for Laravel authentication.
PHP 1395 Version:v1.16.0 License: Permissive (MIT)
- Secure Authentication.
- Multi-Platform Support.
- Easy Integration.
Google Auth Library for PHP
PHP 1205 Version:v1.25.0 License: Permissive (Apache-2.0)
- Role-Based Access Control.
- Uses bcrypt hashing algorithm to store a user's password securely.
- Allows developers to customize and configure the authentication system.
- Built-in protection from malicious attacks.
- Easy-to-use interface for administering user accounts.
- Mobile-friendly and has been optimized for use on mobile devices.
Auth manager for Yii2 (RBAC Manager)
PHP 1153 Version:2.12 License: Strong Copyleft (GPL-3.0)
- Includes features such as brute-force protection, two-factor authentication, and password reset functionality.
- Uses modern cryptography techniques to protect user accounts.
- Used in most web frameworks, including Laravel, Symfony, and Slim.
High-level cryptography interface powered by libsodium
PHP 1077 Version:v5.1.0 License: Weak Copyleft (MPL-2.0)